For many homeowners, painting service in Penrith isn’t the most fun thing to do. Painting jobs can be messy, tedious, and time-consuming, but it’s still essential to spruce up their homes every so often. If you’re planning on painting your residential home shortly, there are some techniques you’ll want to keep in mind. If not prepared ahead of time, these seven essential residential painting techniques will make your home look great and save you from common pitfalls.
1. Prepare the Surface
The first and most significant step in any house painting project is surface preparation. When painting a residential property, it is essential to prepare the surface as the walls have likely never gotten painted. To prepare the surface:
- Clean up the surface like the walls with mild detergent and water.
- Once the walls are clean, use a primer to help the paint adhere better and create a more even surface.
- For getting the best results, apply two coats of primer. Once the primer is dry, you’re ready to start painting!
2. Use Appropriate Tools
The second essential step is to gather the right tools for the job. It might seem like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how many people try to cut corners by using whatever they have around the house. Not only will this make the job harder, but it can also lead to subpar results. For painting, you’ll need a few essential items: brushes, rollers, and trays. Also, you will need an extension pole if you have to paint any high surface (i.e., ceilings or walls).
3. Paint Even Coats
The third vital thing you can do when painting your home with the help of professional painters in Penrith is to ensure you have an even coating. It means taking the time to properly prep your surfaces before painting, using quality paint, and having the right tools for the job. Not only will an even coating give your home a polished look, but it will also protect your surfaces from wear and tear.
4. Don’t Paint Too Thinly
When it comes to residential painting, one of the essential techniques you can learn is how to apply the paint thinly. It will help you avoid brushstrokes, ensure an even coat, and ultimately create a beautiful finish. We have listed a few points to achieve this:
- Use a high-quality brush or roller designed for thin paint application.
- Load your brush or roller with just enough colour so it doesn’t drip.
- Apply the paint in long, even strokes, going back over areas that seem too light.
- Work in smaller sections, so the painting solution doesn’t have time to dry before you’ve had a chance to even it out.
5. Allow Time for Drying Between Coats
Another essential tip to remember when painting your home is to allow time for each coat of paint to dry before adding another. It will make your painting work look its best and last for years. Here are some additional tips followed by affordable painters in Penrith you won’t want to miss –
- Allow Time for Drying Between Coats: One of the most important things to remember when painting your home is to allow each coat of paint to dry before adding another.
- Choose a Day When It’s Not Windy: Wind can cause layers of freshly applied paint or primer to peel off, which can lead to a less than desirable result on your part!
- Spray a Canopy or Tent Over the Area You’re Working on: Doing so prevents overspray from getting onto windows, furniture, doors, and other items around your property while you work on it!
6. Use Protective Equipment
The sixth vital tip to remember is that it’s essential to take the necessary precautions when painting your home. It means using protective equipment, such as gloves, a respirator, and eye protection. You should also make sure to work in a well-ventilated area. Remember that you’ll need both light and dark paints on hand for different surfaces, so it is good to stock up before starting any projects. Many other residential painting techniques can be applied when painting your home. For example, you can use tape to mask areas that shouldn’t be painted or for touch-ups after the paint has dried. Finally, painters need a bucket of clean water nearby for cleaning their brushes between strokes (dry brushing will scratch off the wet paint).
7. Clean Up Carefully
When you’re finished painting for the day, take the time to clean your brushes and other equipment thoroughly. It will help extend their life and make them easier to use next time. Use warm soapy water for latex paint and mineral spirits for oil-based paint. If you’re using a sprayer, be sure to clean it out well, too. Dispose of leftover paints properly – don’t just dump them down the drain! For example, if you’re using oil-based paint, pour it into an old can with a plastic lid. Then pour in enough lighter fluid or turpentine to cover the painted area and allow it to evaporate before sealing it tightly. Remember not to pour paint thinner down drains or sewers because this may cause clogs in pipes or septic systems.
Sydney Wide Painters: Your Professional Residential Painters
Painting your residential property can be one of the most time-consuming, labour-intensive projects you’ll undertake, but it’s also one of the most rewarding—once it gets done! Apart from the points mentioned above, here are some short and essential facts you must consider before the painting services –
- When cutting in along baseboards, corners, and other tight spaces, use your brush at an angle so that it’s not pushing against or pulling away from the edge of the area.
- Brushstrokes should go in one direction – horizontally or vertically – rather than back-and-forth.
- Always overlap your strokes at least 1⁄4 inches, so they don’t show through once they’re dry.
- Put tape over door frames and trim to protect them from getting paint on them while you work on another area of the wall.
- Remember to wipe excess paint off brushes; so your strokes don’t become too heavy or thick.
At Sydney Wide Painters, we have trained specialists with years of experience in residential painting at Sydney Wide Painting. By taking note of what all your requirements are, we’ll align our work techniques and methods to deliver you the best possible outcome. To get the best painting solution, reach out to us and consult with our experts to get your home painted in a short period.